Friday:
So, now onto the fun stuff! Our first place to visit was the gigantic home of Mark Twain, near Hartford Connecticut and the small but quaint and lovely home of Harriet Beecher Stowe which was right next door. Mark Twain whose real name was Samuel Clemens lived in this gorgeous , 22 room home! The inside is filled with many of his original furnishings and the walls are stenciled with a beautiful pattern he himself designed! Many of you many recognize the name Tiffany as a glass designer, but when Tiffany was just beginning his career, he decorated Clemens home! Unfortunately, as you will see any many things to come, they refused to allow me to take pictures inside the house. Even non-flash! haha! I really do completely understand, although I would of liked to of been able to show you what it looked like! Also, if you have never read his 'Joan of Arc', I recommend it! He did a splendid job with it!
The home of Mark Twain:
We later found the Dr. Seuss sculpture garden! We took advantage of the fun!
I met my 2nd cousins on my grandmother's side for the fisrt time, and I think we all got along quite well! :) We had a swell time:
Let me see, on the top row from left to right is Collin and Derek
and on the bottom row is me, Camille, Rachael, Danielle, and Hannah! oops! This is the one where Hannah's not smiling :D haha! oh well!
Sunday:
We woke up early and headed straight for Boston with the cousins! On the way we say the old tavern where the minute-men stopped before the battle, the Concord bridge, and that was dreadfully depressing really. We also saw the home where Ralph Waldo Emerson's grandfather lived which is right within view from the bridge. His grandfather who had daughters and a wife witnessed the battle on the bridge....I can't imagine the horror. We toured the lovely home of Lousia May Alcott and saw Emerson's home as well! Later when we actually got to Boston, we went on the Duck Tour which is basically just a bus tour throug the city except the bus can go not only on land but also in the water!
The tavern:
Emerson's grandfather's home:
The Concord bridge. The reason for the lack of the entire bridge is the fact that hoards of people were constantly coming through! I actually really like this one though!:
We also saw many graves that day. Below are some graves dated back to the early 1600's!:
The grave of Ralph Waldo Emerson:
Louisa May Alcott:
Henry David Thorea:
Nathanial Hawthorne:
The home of Lousia:
The home of Ralph Waldo Emerson:
Where Paul Revere began his ride:
Monday:
Clara Barton was a hero of mine as a child as well as an inspiration, and truly she still is! Her childhood home I found was very near where we were staying so of course I just had to see it! We arrived in the afternoon in Salem. I must admit, I was creeped out by that town. It was disgusting the way that people laugh and commercialize a tragic time in history! All throughout the town were stores with witchcraft related things, museums to see plays of a witch trial, and more satanic things. They are preparing at this time for a large convention for satanic worshipers to come on halloween. It was spooky and I was disgusted. After we finally got passed the middle of the town, we found, much to my delight, Nathaniel Hawthorne's home and the Seven Gable home from his book!! ^_^
Clara's home:Tuesday:
The garden:
The front of a store in Vermont :D haha!:
The home of Robert Frost:
Our last day we went to the Norman Rockwell museum! I love how real and alive his painting are! We also stopped by the charming home of Emily Dickinson on our way to the airport!
A HYDRANGEA TREE!!!! they were everywhere!!!:
Norman Rockwell's studio:
An adorably fuzzy caterpillar! I have no idea what kind it is, so if any of you know, please tell!:
until next time....


8 comments:
That sounds like tons of fun. All of the houses are so adorable. Clara Barton is a heroine of mine too! That is so neat you went to see where she lived.
Yea! Thanks so much for sharing all the great pictures! It was fun getting a glimpse into your trip. It is so beautiful up there! I'm glad you had a fun time!
Hope to see you soon!
Meg
Wow, you all were busy!! I loved reading about it and seeing the pictures! I wish I could have done that.
I'm in on this too by the way...I got a blog!!!
The catepillar is a Woolly Bear, by the way. It changes into an Isabella moth. Years and years ago I found one and we kept it and watched it come out of its coccoon, then released the moth.
Sure, you can add a link. Also, I meant to commend you on your pictures. Your camera IS really good! I loved the flower pictures!
WOW!! Looks like you had an amazing time! (lol, I think that is the longest post I have ever read. =D) I love Clara Barton. Wow, Bwoston is beautiful!
Have a good day!
(P.S. You're tagged. =P)
Wow. Amazing blog, esp. from such a young student. My daughter loves the kitten and flowers... If you are ever in North Myrtle Beach S.C. come by Barefoot Church...
Ahh....that is a wooly bear. ;o)
When I was in elementary at my Christian School, we used to play with those at recess and make little homes for them. I haven't seen around for a while. They are soo cute! I love their little feet.
Looks like you had fun! Why does all that cool stuff have to be on the east coast?
such an amazing trip! that's is certainly something I would enjoy doing! i'm glad you enjoyed it! what rich history New England has! :) have a great Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment